Modern Minnie Party: Dessert Buffet. - Pretty Real

Modern Minnie Party: Dessert Buffet.

1:24 PM

I posted the tiniest sneak peek known to mankind a few weeks ago.  Is it weird that I feel guilty about that?  Let's just say I was making up for the 1200 posts I did on Nadia's party.  Not that you didn't enjoy every last one of them. ;)  So here are a few more details of my baby's 3rd Birthday Party! And this time there will only be two posts--this one featuring the dessert (because let's face it; that's my favorite part!) and one more featuring, well, the rest.  So here goes!


the big picture:




The menu consisted of:



Black Forest Cookies, Oreo Truffles, Minnie Dipped Oreos, Minnie French Vanilla Cupcakes, Dipped Marshmallows, and of course a Minnie Mouse birthday cake.

Classic Minnie Mouse Cake
The cake was made by my fabulous sister-in-law.  She did a great job! The cake stand is from HomeGoods (I finally bought myself one after admiring it (and buying a couple for others) for years)! and the red ribbon was from Michael's.

I loved these "Black Forest" cookies.  I found the recipe on BHG.com (via Pinterest) but after reading reviews adapted it a little bit. I eliminated the cherry preserves and instead added cherry extract to the chocolate frosting.  I used a bag mix of chocolate chunk cookies (which tastes like brownies).  They were so good and tasted like chocolate covered cherries.  mmmmm.

I can't believe I'd never made Oreo truffles before!  They are so simple and so delicious.  I got the mini cupcake liners from Zulily for Nadia's party on accident-- I meant to order regular liners.  So I was happy to be able to use them!  The white tray was also leftover from Nadia's party. I lined them with red polka dot scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby.

These Minnie Oreos were adorable and fairly simple, though they did take a long time to make!  I found one Minnie Oreo Tutorial that was really helpful. I couldn't find the heart candies that everyone in the blogosphere seems to use (for Minnie cake pops and cookies) so I had to improvise.  I bought cookie decorating icing in a tube and cut the tiniest tip off so I could just make a bow with dots.  I did the same with the white cookie decorating icing for the polka dots.  Oh and I tried with mini Oreo cookies for the ears and it didn't work; they just weren't sturdy enough.


These may end up at future parties...they are so cute, simple, and easy to match any party.  Genevieve loves marshmallows so it was a perfect addition to the buffet.  I can't take credit for the idea.  I got it from here.  But I used big marshmallows rather than mini ones and m&ms instead of smarties. And a helpful hint--when using m&ms don't place them on the dipped marshmallow when the chocolate is too hot.  If you do, the m&m will start to melt and the candy shell will crack.  Just a heads up.  You're welcome. ;)



I think these were my favorite part.  How adorable are the bow and "ears?"  The bow is made of fruit roll ups-- a genius idea I got from here. The "ears," are made of black vanilla flavored candy melts.  I LOVE the cupcake stand and it will definitely make an appearance in future parties.  I got it from Hobby Lobby. 

And that's it!  It was a simple menu of just a few delicious and pretty goodies.  Stay tuned for part II!

I'm linking with Bird's Party. Check out all the party inspiration here!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This is SUCH and adorable party! There isn't a thing I don't like! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fans as a whole background piece but OT is so expensive to order from! I wish I could find them in stores. It's safe to say I'm obsessed with figuring out how to make a piece like that for my daughter's birthday in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there,
      are you referring to the shipping charges? Every once in a while they do a free shipping on any purchase or free shipping on $25 or $39 purchase...so those are the times when I buy! The polka dot fans you could easily make with scrapbook paper-do a google search or a pinterest search and you'll see many tutorials. Good luck and thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Subscribe